Welcome to the Blue Owl!
Blue Owl Garden Emporium herb farm offers locally and sustainably grown culinary herbs, edible flowers, herbal seasoning blends and teas, and a variety of other unusual herbal concoctions. With about 200 dried herbs available during the winter and as many as 175 fresh ones during the summer, it's likely we can fill your every culinary herb need. All grown in Licking Co. Ohio without synthetic pesticides or artificial fertilizers.
We also offer fresh culinary mushrooms, grow-your-own mushroom logs, berries, and various other forest edibles in season from our tree farm, Blue Owl Hollow. Our fascination with unusual edibles ensures that we always have something of interest on hand. Blue Owl products are sold locally at several area farmer's markets and small businesses. Come visit us!
May 5, 2016: The new growing season has begun!
Summer markets: Alas, the Worthington Indoor market season is over and we're looking ahead to somewhat less predictable selling conditions outside at our summer markets..... yeah, we're getting soft, I suppose.
2016 will see us at 2 markets in Central Ohio: Saturdays May 21 through the end of October you'll find us in downtown Granville from 8:30 - noon. On Tuesdays June through October, we'll be at the BRAND NEW Canal Market District farmers market in downtown Newark from 4 - 7 PM. This is a major local foods event for Licking County, come on over and check it out!
If you can't find us at a convenient time or place, remember that Blue Owl products are available year-round at Brasseur's Botanicals in Newark OH.
Herbs & Mushrooms: The first fresh herbs of spring are ready for harvest, with more on the way. Some things that are prime now: sorrel, sweet cicely, chives, lemon balm, chervil, lovage..... and spruce tips!
The shrooms are happy with this weather, too. While the mushroom inoculation workshare has (mostly) wound down, we now have a new supply of grow-your-own mushroom logs available for purchase. And other workshare opportunities are possible, perhaps raised bed building? Or harvesting/processing garlic? Let me know if you have any particular herb farm skills you'd like to learn!
- May 7, 2016. Gahanna Herb Day Celebration
- 9 AM - 4 PM. Speakers, local artists, vendors, herb demonstrations, live music, and herb plants for sale at Creekside Plaza in Gahanna OH. Sponsored by the Ohio Herb Education Center, 110 Mill St., Gahanna OH.
- May 7, 2016. Granville Farmers Market
- Granville Farmers Market summer season begins: Saturdays, 8:30 AM - noon, downtown on Main St. between College and Broadway, Granville OH through the end of October. We will be there weekly with the following exceptions:
- May 7 (see Gahanna Herb Day above)
- May 14
- July 3
- July 30
- Sept 3
- May 27, 2016. Newark Canal Market District Grand Opening
- The local foods event of the season.... Friday night food and entertainment plus the chance to get a first look at the new market venue!
- June 3, 2016. Canal Market District Farmers Market begins!
- Tuesdays & Fridays, 4 - 7 PM at 24 East Canal Street, Newark OH. Runs through the end of October. The Blue Owl will be Tuesdays starting June 7.
Past news items of interest, including links to various presentation materials, are also available.
- Early fresh herbs
- Spruce tips
- Shiitake and Oyster mushrooms
- Dried herbs
- Herbal teas
- Seasoning blends
- Kitchen herb racks - hardwood
- Herbal cookie jar mixes
- Herb soup wreaths
- Mushroom logs
- Hardwood grilling planks
- Pine cone & fatwood firestarters
- Insect repellent herbs:
- American pennyroyal